For some people, visiting the dentist can be a stressful experience.
It is estimated that 35 million adults experience anxiety at the thought of an upcoming dental visit – and they may end up postponing their appointment. At Dr. Lemieux’s practice, we want to assure you that we understand this anxiety and we’re here to make your visit as pleasant as possible.
Check out our tips below to help you relax before your next dental visit!
Here are a few tips to help you relax before a dental visit:
- Tell Dr. Lemieux and the dental staff you feel fearful, tense or anxious. Bringing your fears into the open can help us tailor the treatment and pace to suit your needs.
- Try to schedule your visit for a time when you won’t be rushed or physically strained.
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before and eat light meals the day of your appointment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes to your appointment. Avoid wearing tight collars or clothes that restrict your movement.
- Arrange a signal with Dr. Lemieux and the dental staff – such as raising your hand to indicate you are feeling discomfort or need to break from a procedure.
- Take advantage of the headphones we offer, or listen to your own music turned up as loud as you want.
Please talk with Dr. Lemieux about medications that are available to help create more relaxed, comfortable dental visits. The type of procedure, your overall health, history of allergies and your anxiety level are all considered when determining which approach is best for you.
Our number one goal is to provide you with gentle, quality dental care.